The U.S. Embassy to Barbados, the Eastern Caribbean, and the OECS Barbados provides this update of its previous message informing U.S. citizens that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a travel notice for the Caribbean regarding the Zika virus. There is evidence that Zika is linked to birth defects in the fetuses of infected pregnant women and Guillain-Barré syndrome in infected individuals of any age or gender. Zika is typically a mosquito-borne illness, but there are reports that the virus has been transmitted through sexual contact and blood transfusion. For general information about Zika, please visit the CDC website. For information about CDC travel notices, call 1-800-CDC-INFO (1-800-232-4636) from within the United States, or 1-404-639-3534 from overseas or visit the CDC website.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts, and Barbados Country Specific Information. We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens living or traveling in Barbados enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Bridgetown, Barbados, can be reached during regular business hours (M-F, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) by telephone at (246) 227-4000; by fax at (246) 431-0179; and by e-mail at BridgetownACS@state.gov. After hours, in case of emergency, a duty officer can be reached by calling the Embassy switchboard at (246) 227-4000 and dialing ext. 2210 to speak to the Marine security guard on duty.
- If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance, outside of business hours, the emergency after-hours number for the U.S. Embassy/Consulate are +(977)(1) 400-7266 and +(977)(1) 400-7269.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.