Federal Benefits Unit

Please be advised that effective immediately, the US Embassy in Barbados will no longer respond to telephone calls, emails, or walk-in consultations regarding Social Security issues.

Please read the following information carefully.


The Social Security Administration (SSA) has consolidated its overseas operations into several regional offices that provide a full range of SSA services for U.S. citizens residing outside of the United States.

Effective immediately, individuals residing in Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Dominica, Grenada, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, or St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Martinique, St. Martin and Anguilla who require Social Security Services or have questions about SSA benefits must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in the Dominican Republic.  For more information on their services and how to contact them, please visit their webpage at: https://do.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/

You can also reach them Via Email:-  sjregion@ssa.gov, by using their online form or by using the following address:

U.S. Embassy

Federal Benefits Unit
Av. Republica de Colombia # 57
Altos De Arroyo Hondo

Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic

For comprehensive information on SSA’s services abroad, please visit SSA’s webpage Service Around the World https://www.ssa.gov/foreign/ .

If you are already receiving SSA benefits payments, there will be no change in the method of distribution of those payments.

If you are calling about new or replacement Social Security Number card, call +1-410-965-9334.

If you are calling/emailing about a pending claim for Social Security benefits or other non-claim issue, call +1-410-965-2356.

If you are receiving or are already entitled to Social Security benefits and wish to contact the Social Security help line, please use the numbers shown below. You will need to look at the last two digits of your Social Security claim number in order to determine which number to use.

Last (2) two digits  of your SS# are: phone numbers are as follows: –

Between 00 to 24: 1-410-965-9418

Between 25 to 49: 1-410-965-6517

Between 50 to 74: 1-410-965-8064

Between 75 to 99: 1-410-965-8036

In Person

If you are in the United States, the British Virgin Islands, Canada or Samoa, you may visit the nearest Social Security office. To find the nearest office, use the Social security Office Locator at https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

New MEDICARE cards:

Beneficiaries with questions can obtain access to their new number by following the instructions in the letter they received from CMS. If they create MyMedicare.gov account they should be able to print an official copy of their card. Also of note, during the transition, Medicare will continue to accept the old card to get health services until January 1, 2020.

For all services, you will need to schedule an appointment. To contact the Federal Benefits Unit, online form

Request a proof of income or benefits verification letter

If you need proof that you are receiving Social Security benefits, you can request a benefit verification letter by visiting the FBU. This letter is sometimes called a “budget letter,” a “benefits letter,” a “proof of income letter,” or a “proof of award letter.

Social Security Earnings Statements

The Social Security Administration has suspended the field office issuance of Social Security Earnings Statement.  However, an individual can download and complete the Form SSA-7004, Request for Social Security Statement, then print, sign, and mail it to request a statement. The form SSA-7004 can be printed from the following link: form SSA –  7004

If you have a U.S. address, you can download your statement immediately by visiting: www.ssa.gov/myaccount/. Please Note: the “my Social Security” internet service is not available to individuals with overseas mailing addresses.

Enrollment in the Direct Deposit Program

 Social Security Beneficiaries overseas have two options for receiving their benefits via direct deposit:

  1. Direct Deposit to a U.S. Bank Account – You will need to supply the U.S. account information to the Federal Benefits Unit.
  2. Direct Deposit to a Bank Account within our Consular District – You will need to obtain Form SSA-1199 from the Federal Benefits Unit. You must make an appointment with the Federal Benefits Unit to request this form.

Changes of Address

If you receive Social Security Benefits and moved from the United State, or any other country, to our Consular District you should report your new mailing address to the Federal Benefits Unit.

Please note that the mailing address you provide should be a foreign address. You should not provide the Social Security Administration with the Miami address provided to you by your private mail courier, since this could cause temporary suspension of your benefits when the SSA learns that you are living outside of the United States.

To update your address, you need to fill out a form SSA-21 – Supplement to Claim of Person outside the United States (PDF 756 KB).

Note: Question #9 on the form SSA-21 captures if you want to request Medicare disenrollment.

At the time of your appointment, please bring this form together with your passport and your naturalization certificate, if you are a naturalized citizen.

You must make an appointment with the Federal Benefits Unit to submit your completed form and identity document.

Applying for a Social Security Card

You may apply for an original or replacement Social Security Card at the Federal Benefits Unit.

Who is eligible for a Social Security Card? U.S. Citizens and non-citizens who have permission to work from the Department of Homeland Security can apply for a Social Security number.

Read more about “What documents will you need at the time of application” at: Learn What Documents You Need To Get A Social Security Card

Read more about Non-Citizen requirements at: Social Security for Non-US Citizens (PDF 190 KB)

U.S. Citizen Children Born in Our Consular District

Children born in our Consular District and documented as U.S. citizens through the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (“CRBA”) process must apply for a Social Security Card. They may apply for the card after completing the CRBA process and obtaining a U.S. passport. At the time of application, you will need the CRBA, U.S. Passport, and original Birth Certificate for the child, as well as valid identification for the parent i.e U.S. passport or local passport with visa page.

Non-Resident Alien/Individual Taxpayer Indentification Number (ITIN)

Several classes of non-resident aliens are required to obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification pNumber (ITIN) in order to file U.S. taxes. To obtain an ITIN, you must file IRS Form W-7 with the Internal Revenue Service. You may obtain a W-7 form from the Consular Section’s U.S. Citizens Services (ACS) Unit or via the Internet at W-7 form (PDF – 263 Kb).

Applicants residing in Barbados and our Consular District may apply online for Retirement, Medicare Only, or Auxiliary Spouse benefits or for Disability benefits at Apply Online For Disability Benefits

For an overview of the information the Social Security Administration Requests on the internet application, please visit the following link: How To Apply Online For Retirement Benefits (PDF, 1 MB)

You may view a short demo video on how to apply for benefits online at the following link: Social Security Online Retirement Application

If you do not meet the above category of beneficiary, you can request an appointment to file an application by e-mailing SJRegion@ssa.gov.

Please click on the following links for additional information on:

The number of work credits needed for disability benefits depends on your age when you become disabled. Generally, you need 40 credits, 20 of which were earned in the last 10 years ending with the year you become disabled. However, younger workers may qualify with fewer credits. check the following link for the rule that applies.

How to contact the US Office of Personnel Management (OPM)

Telephone Number: (202) 606-0500
Website: www.opm.gov
E-mail address: retire@opm.gov
Mailing address:
U.S. Office of Personnel Management
Retirement Operations Center

P. O. Box 45
Boyers, PA 16017

OPM Publications of Interest 

How to contact the Department of Veterans Affairs

You may obtain contact information for the VA at the following address:

How to contact the Department of Labor (DOL)

  • Website: www.dol.gov
    The Department of Labor website offers information on benefits programs such as the Family and Medical Leave Act and workers’ compensation programs, (Black Lung, FECA, Longshore).
  • Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs
    The Division of Federal Employees’ Compensation adjudicates new claims for benefits and manages ongoing cases; pays medical expenses and compensation benefits to injured workers and survivors; and helps injured employees return to work when they are medically able to do so.

How to contact the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB)?

Website: WWW.RRB.GOV
The Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) administers comprehensive retirement-survivor and unemployment-sickness benefit programs for the nation’s railroad workers and their families. The RRB also administers certain Social Security benefit payments and railroad workers’ Medicare coverage.

Please note that Medicare does not provide any coverage for medical or hospital services outside of the United States.  

Certain non-U.S. Citizens can receive Social Security regular monthly benefit payments after residing lawfully in the United States of America for one full calendar month. They are required to live in the U.S. for one month each time they are outside of the U.S. for six full consecutive months and wish to receive payments.

This requirement applies to beneficiaries eligible to receive a payment but who:

Are not a U.S. citizen, or

  • Were not initially eligible for monthly benefits before January 1, 1985, or
  • Have not resided in the U.S. for at least five years.

You must report completing your full-calendar month to receive  payment.

Once you have completed your full calendar month visit, you must present the following documents to the Federal Benefits Unit:

  1. Passport with date stamp entry into the United States.
  2. Plane ticket stubs associated with the travel dates on the passport
  3. Hotel receipts or statements of individuals specifying the dates the person provided the beneficiary with lodging. The person signing the letter must provide their address, telephone number and date the letter. The statement does not need to be notarized.

We will ask you to complete and sign a statement that include:

  1. The dates you entered and left the U.S.;
  2. The address at which you stayed; and
  3. A statement that you did not go outside the U.S. at any time during the month you were present in the U.S

You must make an appointment with the Federal Benefits Unit to submit your evidence related to completing your full calendar month.