Consular Report of Birth Abroad  — Registering Overseas Births of U.S. Citizens

When a child is born overseas to a U.S. citizen parent, or parents, certain documentation is required in order for the child to be registered as a U.S. citizen.  Once registered, the child can receive his/her Consular Report of Birth Abroad and a U.S. passport can be issued.  The child can also apply for a Social Security number. Parents and the child (or children) must appear in person at the time of the appointment.

Appointments are now required for registering an overseas birth of a U.S. citizen. To schedule an appointment, go to the U.S. Citizens Services Appointment System.

For registration, the following items are necessary:

  1. Original birth certificate issued by the local authorities at the place of birth.
  2. Original marriage certificate of the child’s parents.
  3. Original documentation of the termination of any previous marriages of the child’s parents (death or divorce certificates).
  4. Parent(s)’ U.S. passports or other evidence of U.S. citizenship
  5. Non-U.S. citizen parents must also produce their passports
  6. Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form DS-2029 (PDF 52 kB) available online. Do not sign the form until requested by a consular officer.
  7. Two identical and recent photos taken full face with a light background (5cm x 5cm or 2″x2″).
  8. Affidavit of Physical Presence, Form DS-5507 (PDF 165 kB). See below for more information
  9. USD$100.00 for registration of the birth abroad and
  10. USD$115.00 for the U.S. passport – Form DS-11
  11. Social Security Application Form – SS-5, available online.  Please complete online and print. Please note that the Social Security Administration prefers a U.S. mailing address be used when possible.
  12. Parents and child (ren) must appear in person at the time of the appointment.

Affidavit of Physical Presence (Form DS-5507) – The U.S. citizen parent should complete, but not sign the DS-5507 form.  Parents who were not married at the time of the child’s birth also need to bring evidence of their physical presence together at the time of the child’s conception (i.e. passport stamps, military travel orders) as well as proof of their relationship prior to the child’s birth (i.e. letters, photos).  If only one of the parents is a U.S. citizen, he/she must bring proof of physical presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth.  Primary evidence that may establish presence in the U.S. includes:  Transcripts from high school and/or college, and Wage Statements (W-2), DD214 Separation Statement (for Military Members). Secondary evidence includes:  Tax returns, airline ticket stubs, former/current passport showing entry/exit stamps.

U.S. Passport

A valid U.S. passport is required for travel for all U.S. citizens.  To apply for a U.S. passport for your child in conjunction with the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, please visit our Passports page..

When a child is born to at least one U.S. citizen parent outside of the United States, U.S. law may confer citizenship on the child, depending on various factors.

Citizenship laws are complex, and it is impossible to address all factual situations on this website.  However, the most common cases are:

  • Birth Abroad to Two U.S. Citizen Parents in Wedlock
  • Birth Abroad to One Citizen and One Alien Parent in Wedlock
  • Birth Abroad Out-of-Wedlock to a U.S. Citizen Father
  • Birth Abroad Out-of-Wedlock to a U.S. Citizen Mother
  • Please keep in mind that in order to apply for a Report of Birth Abroad the transmitting parent must a U.S. Citizen before the child is born.

Most of these cases require the U.S. citizen parent to have spent a specific amount of time in the U.S. or, in some cases, time spent overseas working for the U.S. government and other organizations may count.  For specific information on each particular scenario please visit the Legal Considerations section on the website.

Parents of a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen or citizens should apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) for the child as soon as possible. Failure to promptly document a child who meets the statutory requirements for acquiring U.S. citizenship at birth may cause problems for the parents and the child when attempting to establish the child’s U.S. citizenship and eligibility for the rights and benefits of U.S. citizenship, including entry into the United States.

 We remind you that by law, U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.

Transmission of U.S. citizenship depends on:

  1. At least one parent having the nationality of the United States at the time of the child’s birth;
  2. The existence of a blood relationship between the child and U.S. citizen parent(s);
  3. Documentary evidence demonstrating the U.S. citizen parent(s)’ presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth, as specified in the Transmission Requirements Table below.

Examples of Documentation

Some examples of documentary evidence which may be considered to demonstrate that physical presence requirements have been met may include (but are not limited to):

  • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
  • Academic transcripts
  • Employment records
  • Rental receipts
  • Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated).
  • U.S. passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted, but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence.

If you have other children who have been issued with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, this may be considered as supplemental evidence. Please also read important information regarding Supporting Documents.