Renewal Interview Waiver Process for Non-Immigrant Visas
U.S. Embassy Bridgetown’s Renewal Interview Waiver (RIW) process allows certain individuals who are renewing their visas to forego the visa interview. Please read all the information below to determine whether you qualify for the RIW process. RIW applications can only be submitted by mail.
To qualify for the RIW process, you must meet all the following criteria:
- You are a citizen, resident and passport holder of one of the following countries:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- British Virgin Islands
- St. Barthelemy
- St. Lucia
- St. Kitts and Nevis
- French St. Martin
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Your previous visa was issued at the U.S. Embassy – Bridgetown;
- You are renewing the same category of visa;
- The current passport you are applying with is the same nationality passport which contains your previous visa;
- The prior visa was issued for its full validity;
- The prior visa expired less than 48 months ago;
- You have not been arrested or convicted for any criminal offenses; and
- You must be able to submit the passport containing your previous visa.
* Please note that we may request that an applicant appear for an interview regardless of apparent qualifications for the RIW process.
** You must be OUTSIDE the United States to apply for IW.
- Complete your DS-160 application at https://ceac.state.gov/GenNIV/Default.aspx
- Answer the questions and follow the prompts at https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-bb/niv . If you qualify for the RIW process, you will be directed to specific instructions for how to proceed with your application
If the RIW application is accepted for processing without an interview, the following documents, and these documents only, are required.
- Current valid passport from within our consular district valid for travel to the United States. The passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the period of stay in the United States (see country-specific agreements for exceptions).
- Passport containing the most recently issued U.S. visa. (Do NOT send all passports)
- DS-160 application confirmation page (see step one in application above).
- One 5 x 5 cm (2 x 2 inches) color photo taken within the last 6 months. Further details regarding Department of State photo guidelines can be found at: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/photos.html.
Visa Categories Eligible for the RIW Process
The following visa categories are eligible to apply for the RIW process. All RIW applicants in the following visa categories must submit the following documents along with the required documentation (see above) with their visa application and passport:
Temporary Visitor for Business/Pleasure (B1/B2)
- DS-160 application confirmation page.
Alien Crewmember (C1/D)
- Official letter from the airline or cruise line verifying employment and confirming arrival/docking dates in the United States.
We always recommend that individuals apply for visas well in advance of their proposed date of travel. No assurances regarding the issuance of visas can be given in advance. Therefore, final travel plans or the purchase of non-refundable tickets should not be made until a visa has been issued.