Location: St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Event: St. Vincent’s National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) confirmed several eruptions at the La Soufriere volcano with ash plumes up to 20,000 feet on April 9. The ash cloud is moving east from St. Vincent with ash fall reported as far southeast as Argyle International Airport, which is located approximately 12 miles away. Heavy ash fall with poor visibility is reported in the evacuation zone, and the Seismic Research Center at the University of the West Indies (UWI) reports the ash column is falling back down around the volcano and surrounding area. Communities across mainland St. Vincent will experience varying degrees of ashfall. The Grenadines may also be affected. Mandatory evacuation for all residents in the red zone continues.
Air operations at Argyle International Airport are currently suspended.
The UWI Seismic Research Center reports that ashfall may also be experienced in Barbados and St. Lucia.
The Caribbean Disaster Management Agency (CDEMA) and NEMO will continue monitoring the situation closely. NEMO has activated its National Emergency Operations Center. Both are working closely with the U.S. Embassy and other U.S. agencies.
Actions to Take:
- Follow local guidance and evacuate to the nearest shelter or as directed by local authorities.
- Remain vigilant and maintain active awareness of local conditions.
- Limit outdoor activity and wear masks (N95 ideally) when outdoors
- Close windows and use air filters if available indoors
- Monitor local news, the NEMO website, NEMO and UWI Seismic Research Center social media for updated information.
- In the case of emergency, dial 999, 911 or 112
- NEMO Emergency Phone Number: +1 784-458-6366
U.S. Embassy Bridgetown, Barbados
Phone number: +1 246-227-4000
Email address: BridgetownACS@state.gov
Embassy website: https://bb.usembassy.gov
State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Country Information Pages for your destination country in the Eastern Caribbean
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive updates