The Interview Waiver process for F, M, and J visa applicants allows certain students to forego a visa interview and submit their application via courier. Please see below criteria to determine whether you qualify for the IW – F, M, and J process.
To qualify for the IW- F, M, and J process, you must meet all the following criteria:
- You are a citizen, resident and passport holder of one of the following countries and were previously issued any class of visa by this Embassy from age 14 years or older:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- British Virgin Islands
- St. Barthelemy
- St. Lucia
- St. Kitts and Nevis
- French St. Martin
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and
- You have never been refused a visa or you were issued a visa subsequent to a prior refusal or
- You are a citizen, resident and passport holder of one of the VWP countries (France, United Kingdom, or the Netherlands) residing within our consular district, and have previously traveled to the United States on ESTA and
- You have never been denied ESTA
- You have not been arrested or convicted for any criminal offenses.
* Please note that we may request that an applicant appear for an interview regardless of apparent qualifications for the IW process.
** You must be OUTSIDE the United States to apply for the Interview Waiver.
- Complete your DS-160 application at https://ceac.state.gov/GenNIV/Default.aspx
- Answer the questions and follow the prompts at https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-bb/niv . If you qualify for the RIW process, you will be directed to specific instructions for how to proceed with your application
If you were prompted to schedule an interview, but you think that you do qualify for the IW based on the criteria listed, send an email to BridgetownNIv@state.gov and we will assist you.
All Interview Waiver application packages must include:
- Current and previous passport with visa
- DS-160 application confirmation page
- I-20 form for all F and M students
- DS-2019 for all J1 applicants
- I-901 SEVIS payment receipt
- Proof of funds to cover the first year’s expenses
- Two (2) 5 x 5 cm (2 x 2 inches) color photos taken within the last 6 months. Further details regarding Department of State photo guidelines can be found at: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/photos.html.
- For applications from VWP countries, a copy of a prior approval for ESTA, or an I-94, or an entry stamp to the United States
We always recommend that individuals apply for visas well in advance of their proposed date of travel. No assurances regarding the issuance of visas can be given in advance. Therefore, final travel plans or the purchase of non-refundable tickets should not be made until a visa has been issued.