An official website of the United States government

December 16, 2022

E-1 Treaty Trader and E-2 Treaty Investor Visa

The Treaty Trader (E-1) and Treaty Investor (E-2) visas are for a nationals of a country with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation, who are coming to the United States to carry on substantial trade, including trade in services or technology, principally between the United States and the treaty country, or to develop and direct the operations of an enterprise in which the national has invested, or is in the process of investing a substantial amount of capital.  For a list of participating countries refer to Treaty Countries .

Embassy Bridgetown’s Consular District includes multiple nations, as well as French, British and Dutch territories. Because we are not familiar with the provisions treaties covering other nationalities, Bridgetown only entertains Treaty Trader (E1) and Treaty Investor (E2) visa applications from residents of our district who are also nationals of one of the countries that we cover in whole or in part.

Please note that all E-1 and E-2 applicants must be passport holders AND residents of a treaty country in the Barbados Consular District.


If you meet the above requirements, then proceed to do the following;

  • Complete the DS-160 application form
  • Pay the MRV fee online at https://ais.usvisa-info.com
  • DO NOT make an appointment
  • Submit compiled documentation in a binder via courier in line with the specific guidelines noted here: Documentation Instructions
  • E1 or E-2 visa packet will be reviewed by consular officer

Please note that upon completion of the review, applicants will be notified via email to schedule an appointment