OneBeat announces an exciting new series of virtual exchanges in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
OneBeat Virtual will digitally convene 70 musicians from up to 44 countries and territories in two separate virtual exchanges taking place July 12 – September 6, 2021 and September 20 – November 17, 2021. Each program will offer a fully virtual residency and exchange program with musicians from around the globe.
Over the course of 8-weeks, OneBeat Virtual Fellows will investigate new forms of virtual collaboration, form ensembles to write, produce, and perform genre-defying work, attend virtual masterclasses, lead online workshops, and produce a streaming concert for the public. Fellows will also have the opportunity to pursue self-directed projects during the Fellowship. These projects will address a particular community and focus on community engagement. We encourage the development of projects that explore innovations within a particular field of arts engagement, digital media, or technology.
Fellows will receive a $1,500 USD honorarium as well as small subsidy for purchasing necessary audio equipment and enhanced internet connectivity. Each selected musician will participate in one exchange. We are seeking applicants who excel in the following areas:
- Musical Excellence & Innovation – A high level of performance, composition, improvisational, production and/or technological skill.
- Social Engagement – Musicians who have used music to serve their communities or greater societies. This might consist of guiding young people in music education, addressing social-political issues, reviving dying musical traditions, etc.
- Collaboration – Applicants’ willingness to reach across cultural and musical divides in creating original music or re-interpreting traditional music, while respecting the essence of each tradition.
February 10 – March 10, 2021 (5PM EST)
Applicants will be notified by May 21
Applicants must be between 19 and 35 year old during the program dates.
Albania, Algeria, Barbados, Bolivia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Brazil, Cambodia, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Ethiopia, Greenland, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Jordan, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Madagascar, Malaysia, Mali, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestinian Territories, Philippines, Russia, Senegal, South Africa, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Tunisia, Turkey, United States, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Zimbabwe
Social Media Handles for tagging
- https://twitter.com/1beatmusic – @1beatmusic
- Bringing together innovative young musicians from around the world • An initiative of @ECAatState and produced by @foundsoundnat
- https://www.facebook.com/1beatmusic – @1beatmusic
- https://www.instagram.com/1beatmusic/ – @OneBeat
Website – https://1beat.org/apply/